Conference Proceedings Or Journal

 

A Study on Commercially Important Marine Fish Marketing Systems in Southern Bangladesh Public Deposited

Downloadable Content

Download PDF
https://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/concern/conference_proceedings_or_journals/76537211q

Research Paper

Descriptions

Attribute NameValues
Creator
Abstract
  • A study was conducted to understand current practices of commercially important marine fish marketing systems in the Patuakhali area of southern Bangladesh. A total of ten commercially important marine fish were identified such as: 1) hilsa, 2) pomfret, 3) marine catfish, 4) tuna, 5) coral fish, 6) marine eel, 7) jawfish, 8) ribbonfish, 9) bombay duck and 10) shark. About 88% of marine fish is marketed internally for domestic consumption while the remaining (12%) is exported to the international market. A large number of rural poor are involved in the domestic fish marketing chain as fishermen, processors, traders, intermediaries, day laborers and transporters. The market chain from fishermen to consumers encompasses mainly primary, secondary and retail markets, involving sales agents, suppliers, wholesalers and retailers. Fish are traded whole, un-gutted, and fresh without processing apart from sorting and icing. The price of fish depends on species, quality, size and weight, seasonality, market structure, supply and demand, consumption behavior, etc. In general, facilities at fish markets are minimal with poor hygiene and sanitation. There are currently no standard practices for handling, washing, sorting, grading, cleaning and icing of fish. Concerns arise about the long-term sustainable fish marketing systems due to poor road and transport facilities, lack of credit facilities, insufficient supply of ice, poor institutional support and inadequate training facilities. It is therefore necessary to provide institutional and organizational support, government support, extension service and training facilities to the market operators for sustainable fish marketing systems.
Resource Type
Date Available
Date Issued
Citation
  • Ahmed, Nesar and Faisal Ahammed. 2006. A Study of Commercially Important Marine Fish Marketing Systems in Southern Bangladesh. In: Proceedings of the Thirteenth Biennial Conference of the International Institute of Fisheries Economics & Trade, July 11-14, 2006, Portsmouth, UK: Rebuilding Fisheries in an Uncertain Environment. Compiled by Ann L. Shriver. International Institute of Fisheries Economics & Trade, Corvallis, Oregon, USA, 2006. CD ROM. ISBN 0-9763432-3-1
Conference Name
Keyword
Subject
Rights Statement
Funding Statement (additional comments about funding)
  • The National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration Marine Fisheries Service, United States Department of Commerce (NOAA Fisheries); United Kingdom Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA); The United States Agency for International Development supported Aquaculture Collaborative Research and Support Program (ACRSP).
Publisher
Peer Reviewed
Language
Replaces
Additional Information
  • description.provenance : Submitted by Katy Davis (kdscannerosu@gmail.com) on 2013-11-11T22:22:38Z No. of bitstreams: 1 130.pdf: 381653 bytes, checksum: cbfd8d8114b80e30f0bb6719cc14b60f (MD5)
  • description.provenance : Made available in DSpace on 2013-11-12T20:03:09Z (GMT). No. of bitstreams: 1 130.pdf: 381653 bytes, checksum: cbfd8d8114b80e30f0bb6719cc14b60f (MD5) Previous issue date: 2006-11
  • description.provenance : Approved for entry into archive by Brian E. Davis(brian.davis@oregonstate.edu) on 2013-11-12T20:03:09Z (GMT) No. of bitstreams: 1 130.pdf: 381653 bytes, checksum: cbfd8d8114b80e30f0bb6719cc14b60f (MD5)

Relationships

Parents:

This work has no parents.

In Collection:

Items