Preliminary Findings From the Bering Sea/Aleutian Islands Crab Rationalization Program Public Deposited

http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/concern/conference_proceedings_or_journals/8k71nh868

Abstract only.

Descriptions

Attribute NameValues
Creator
Abstract or Summary
  • In the fall of 2005, the NOAA Fisheries implemented a share-based management program in the Bering Sea and Aleutian Island crab fisheries. Allocations of harvest and processing quota were issued to vessel and plant owners based on historical landings, with a share matching requirement applied to 90% of harvest quota. The remaining 10% of vessel owners' harvest quota is exempt from the share matching requirement and can be landed for sale to any licensed buyer. The processor quota component of this system is intended as a community protection measure and to prevent stranded capital in remote Bering Sea processing facilities, while the initial 90/10 split was intended to maintain competitive ex-vessel prices. As part of the rationalization program, a detailed cost and earnings data collection was implemented contemporaneously, in part, to provide for a more thorough the understanding of the impacts of the change in management. Economic data are collected from all sectors (catcher vessels, catcher processors, shore-based processors, and floating processors) concerning most aspects of their crab fisheries operations. This paper presents findings from the first two years of the rationalized fishery, with a focus on the distribution of rents between processing plant and vessel operators, quota owners, and harvest crews, and the efficacy of the 90/10 share split.
Resource Type
Date Available
Date Issued
Citation
  • Garber-Yonts, Brian. 2008. Preliminary Findings From the Bering Sea/Aleutian Islands Crab Rationalization Program. In: Proceedings of the Fourteenth Biennial Conference of the International Institute of Fisheries Economics & Trade, July 22-25, 2008, Nha Trang, Vietnam: Achieving a Sustainable Future: Managing Aquaculture, Fishing, Trade and Development. Compiled by Ann L. Shriver. International Institute of Fisheries Economics & Trade, Corvallis, Oregon, USA, 2008.
Conference Name
Keyword
Subject
Rights Statement
Funding Statement (additional comments about funding)
Publisher
Peer Reviewed
Language
Replaces
Additional Information
  • description.provenance : Submitted by Amy Zhang (zhanga@onid.orst.edu) on 2013-03-01T17:59:56Z No. of bitstreams: 1 462.pdf: 22145 bytes, checksum: 0a4e1a20f2309a4dd178e0156037dc20 (MD5)
  • description.provenance : Approved for entry into archive by Philip Vue(vuep@onid.orst.edu) on 2013-03-21T19:39:54Z (GMT) No. of bitstreams: 1 462.pdf: 22145 bytes, checksum: 0a4e1a20f2309a4dd178e0156037dc20 (MD5)
  • description.provenance : Made available in DSpace on 2013-03-21T19:39:54Z (GMT). No. of bitstreams: 1 462.pdf: 22145 bytes, checksum: 0a4e1a20f2309a4dd178e0156037dc20 (MD5) Previous issue date: 2008

Relationships

Parents:

This work has no parents.

Last modified

Downloadable Content

Download PDF

Items