- Keynote presentation for 7th Biennial Conference on University Education in Natural Resources, March 13-15, 2008, Corvallis, Oregon.
- This is the first of two keynote addresses related to preparing future natural resource leaders and emphasizes leadership as a learned skill which can be acquired by anyone willing to make the effort. The speaker, Dr. John C. Gordon, is Pinchot Professor Emeritus of Forestry and Environmental Studies at the Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies, where he was Dean from 1983-1992. Before that he was Head and Professor, Department of Forest Science, Oregon State University, Professor of Forestry and Iowa State University, and Principal Plant Physiologist at the Pioneering Project in Wood Formation, USDA Forest Service, Rhinelander, Wisconsin.
John has B.S. (forest management) and Ph.D. (plant physiology and silviculture) from Iowa State University, and has been a Fulbright Scholar in Finland (University of Helsinki) and India (Bangalore). His primary expertise is in the biological basis of forest productivity, the management of research, and forest policy. He is senior editor of the primary book on biological nitrogen fixation in temperate forest ecosystems and researches the interaction of carbon and nitrogen fixation in forests. He has led several national-level assessments, including those on research and resource management in national parks, forestry research (for the National Research Council/National Academy of Sciences), and indian forests and forestry.
John served as a member of the Congressionally-mandated Scientific Panel on Late Successional Ecosystems, and was co-chairman of the Seventh American Forest Congress. He has extensive consulting experience with public and private organizations, including forest product firms, the World Bank and the United Nations Development Programme. He has authored or coauthored over 100 publications, and has overseas experience in a variety of places, including India, Pakistan, China, Costa Rica, Brazil, Argentina, Finland and Scotland.
For more information on the topic of John's presentation, you might consider reading Environmental Leadership Equals Essential Leadership by John C. Gordon and Joyce K. Berry. 2006. Yale University Press.
Dr. Gordon is introduced by Dr. Ed Jensen, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs for the College of Forestry at Oregon State University.
- description.provenance : Made available in DSpace on 2008-05-09T20:08:46Z (GMT). No. of bitstreams: 2Gordon_320x240.mp4: 147195789 bytes, checksum: 25152d2537a9b6f774cde23bd1ca9596 (MD5)Gordon_720x480.mp4: 538015054 bytes, checksum: 25c96660eb3c485d5b8d29a6f9b65969 (MD5)
- description.provenance : Approved for entry into archive by Bonnie Avery(email@example.com) on 2008-05-09T20:06:47Z (GMT) No. of bitstreams: 2Gordon_320x240.mp4: 147195789 bytes, checksum: 25152d2537a9b6f774cde23bd1ca9596 (MD5)Gordon_720x480.mp4: 538015054 bytes, checksum: 25c96660eb3c485d5b8d29a6f9b65969 (MD5)
- description.provenance : Submitted by Bonnie Avery (firstname.lastname@example.org) on 2008-05-09T19:31:50ZNo. of bitstreams: 2Gordon_320x240.mp4: 147195789 bytes, checksum: 25152d2537a9b6f774cde23bd1ca9596 (MD5)Gordon_720x480.mp4: 538015054 bytes, checksum: 25c96660eb3c485d5b8d29a6f9b65969 (MD5)