- An integrated analysis of turbulence observations from four unique instrument platforms obtained over
the Hawaiian Ridge leads to an assessment of the vertical, cross-ridge, and along-ridge structure of turbulence
dissipation rate and diffusivity. The diffusivity near the seafloor was, on average, 15 times that in the
midwater column. At 1000-m depth, the diffusivity atop the ridge was 30 times that 10 km off the ridge,
decreasing to background oceanic values by 60 km. A weak (factor of 2) spring–neap variation in dissipation
was observed. The observations also suggest a kinematic relationship between the energy in the semidiurnal
internal tide (E) and the depth-integrated dissipation (D), such that D ~ E¹±⁰.⁵ at sites along the ridge. This
kinematic relationship is supported by combining a simple knife-edge model to estimate internal tide
generation, with wave–wave interaction time scales to estimate dissipation. The along-ridge kinematic
relationship and the observed vertical and cross-ridge structures are used to extrapolate the relatively sparse
observations along the length of the ridge, giving an estimate of 3 ± 1.5 GW of tidal energy lost to
turbulence dissipation within 60 km of the ridge. This is roughly 15% of the energy estimated to be lost from
the barotropic tide.
- Klymak, Jody M., and Coauthors, 2006: An Estimate of Tidal Energy Lost to Turbulence at the Hawaiian Ridge. J. Phys. Oceanogr., 36, 1148–1164.
|Funding Statement (additional comments about funding)
- This work was funded by the National Science Foundation (Grants 9819537, 9819531, and 9819522).
- description.provenance : Made available in DSpace on 2012-01-25T17:18:46Z (GMT). No. of bitstreams: 1MoumJamesN.CEOAS.EstimateTidalEnergy.pdf: 1707554 bytes, checksum: f7f348a494147d2c2dc268eef5ee24be (MD5) Previous issue date: 2006-06
- description.provenance : Submitted by Deborah Campbell (email@example.com) on 2012-01-25T17:18:46ZNo. of bitstreams: 1MoumJamesN.CEOAS.EstimateTidalEnergy.pdf: 1707554 bytes, checksum: f7f348a494147d2c2dc268eef5ee24be (MD5)