Release and consumption of DMSP from Emiliania huxleyi during grazing by Oxyrrhis marina Public Deposited

http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/concern/defaults/j3860c63z

Article appears in Marine Ecology Progress Series and is copyrighted by Inter Research

Descriptions

Attribute NameValues
Creator
Abstract or Summary
  • Degradation and release to solution of intracellular dimethylsulfoniopropionate (DMSP) from Emiliania huxleyi 370 was observed during grazing by the heterotrophic dinoflagellate Oxyrrhis marina in 24 h bottle incubations. Between 30 and 70 % of the lost algal DMSP was metabolized by the grazers without production of dimethylsulfide (DMS) when grazer densities were 150 to 450 ml‾¹ The rest was released to solution and about 30% was converted to DMS by bacteria associated with the grazer culture. These experiments demonstrate that grazing by herbivorous protists may be an important sink for DMSP in marine waters, removing a potential source of DMS. Microzooplankton grazing may also indirectly increase the production of DMS by transferring algal DMSP to the dissolved pool, making it available for bacterial metabolism.
Resource Type
Date Available
Date Issued
Citation
  • Wolfe, G. V., Sherr, E. B. , and Sherr, B. F. , 1994, Release and consumption of DMSP from Emiliania huxleyi during grazing by Oxyrrhis marina: Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser., v. 111, p. 111 - 119.
Keyword
Rights Statement
Publisher
Replaces
Additional Information
  • description.provenance : Made available in DSpace on 2010-03-08T16:33:32Z (GMT). No. of bitstreams: 1 Wolfe_et_al_1994.pdf: 783934 bytes, checksum: 9fbbbc80a9c90a9b7c33c8dc6fcc16de (MD5) Previous issue date: 1994-08-11
  • description.provenance : Submitted by David Moynihan (dmscanner@gmail.com) on 2010-03-05T22:40:29Z No. of bitstreams: 1 Wolfe_et_al_1994.pdf: 783934 bytes, checksum: 9fbbbc80a9c90a9b7c33c8dc6fcc16de (MD5)
  • Marine Ecology Progress Series
  • Vol. 111 (1994)
  • description.provenance : Approved for entry into archive by Linda Kathman(linda.kathman@oregonstate.edu) on 2010-03-08T16:33:32Z (GMT) No. of bitstreams: 1 Wolfe_et_al_1994.pdf: 783934 bytes, checksum: 9fbbbc80a9c90a9b7c33c8dc6fcc16de (MD5)

Relationships

In Administrative Set:
Last modified: 12/07/2017

Downloadable Content

Download PDF
Citations:

EndNote | Zotero | Mendeley

Items