Nonlinearity of Carbon Cycle Feedbacks Public Deposited

http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/concern/defaults/nv935796v

Descriptions

Attribute NameValues
Creator
Abstract or Summary
  • Coupled climate–carbon models have shown the potential for large feedbacks between climate change, atmospheric CO₂ concentrations, and global carbon sinks. Standard metrics of this feedback assume that the response of land and ocean carbon uptake to CO₂ (concentration–carbon cycle feedback) and climate change (climate–carbon cycle feedback) combine linearly. This study explores the linearity in the carbon cycle response by analyzing simulations with an earth system model of intermediate complexity [the University of Victoria Earth System Climate Model (UVic ESCM)]. The results indicate that the concentration–carbon and climate–carbon cycle feedbacks do not combine linearly to the overall carbon cycle feedback. In this model, the carbon sinks on land and in the ocean are less efficient when exposed to the combined effect of elevated CO₂ and climate change than to the linear combination of the two. The land accounts for about 80% of the nonlinearity, with the ocean accounting for the remaining 20%. On land, this nonlinearity is associated with the different response of vegetation and soil carbon uptake to climate in the presence or absence of the CO₂ fertilization effect. In the ocean, the nonlinear response is caused by the interaction of changes in physical properties and anthropogenic CO₂. These findings suggest that metrics of carbon cycle feedback that postulate linearity in the system’s response may not be adequate.
Resource Type
DOI
Date Available
Date Issued
Citation
  • Zickfeld, Kirsten, Michael Eby, H. Damon Matthews, Andreas Schmittner, Andrew J. Weaver, 2011: Nonlinearity of Carbon Cycle Feedbacks. Journal of Climate, 24, 4255–4275.
Keyword
Rights Statement
Funding Statement (additional comments about funding)
Publisher
Replaces
Additional Information
  • Vol. 24 no. 16
  • description.provenance : Made available in DSpace on 2012-06-25T20:06:17Z (GMT). No. of bitstreams: 1 SchmittnerAndreasCEOASNonlinearityCarbonCycle.pdf: 4330987 bytes, checksum: 7549423e0d4dbe5999fc29fe8cb02f10 (MD5) Previous issue date: 2011-08-15
  • Journal of Climate
  • description.provenance : Submitted by Deborah Campbell (deborah.campbell@oregonstate.edu) on 2012-06-25T20:06:17Z No. of bitstreams: 1 SchmittnerAndreasCEOASNonlinearityCarbonCycle.pdf: 4330987 bytes, checksum: 7549423e0d4dbe5999fc29fe8cb02f10 (MD5)

Relationships

In Administrative Set:
Last modified: 12/07/2017

Downloadable Content

Download PDF
Citations:

EndNote | Zotero | Mendeley

Items