|Abstract or Summary
- This white paper provides a practical guide and methodology that addresses these challenges. This
“how to” guide for process development is comprised of three main components: 1) The Process Development Template, a series of steps for developing processes; 2) the Process Development Implementation Steps, a series of steps for managing process development within an organization; and 3) Step-by-step examples created during the Sensor Life Cycle project that illustrate process development deliverables.
- An integral part of process development is leveraging existing best practices. During the CGSN Sensor Life Cycle project, best practice organizations and individuals were identified, contacted, and engaged. The CGSN process project team continues to nurture these relationships, and collect and analyze information.
- This white paper investigates methods to conduct effective and efficient process development within the context of the NSF funded construction of the Ocean Observatory Facility.
- The organization of the white paper is as follows. Section 1 provides a general process development methodology overview, and demonstrates the complimentary aspects of the TOM, PDT and PDIS. Section 2 introduces the PDT and describes it in detail. Section 3 provides process development implementation steps that greatly increase the quality, speed, and collaborative nature of process development. Section 4 provides examples of PDT project deliverables, providing insights into understanding the application of the PDT.
- The basis of this process development investigation was the CGSN Sensor Life Cycle project. During the course of this project the sensor life process was developed with CGSN project team members and sensor manufacturers. Initial process collaboration meetings were also conducted across the OOI organization with the Regional Scale Node (RSN) and CyberInfrastructure (CI) implementing organizations. The CGSN Sensor Life Cycle project provided valuable insights into collaborative process development. The input and feedback from CGSN, RSN, and CI captured during the collaborative process development are reflected throughout this white paper.
- The OOI Implementing Organizations (IOs) operations and maintenance strategies refer to a Telecom Operations Map (TOM). The TOM, a best practices publication developed by the TeleManagement Forum, is a reference framework for categorizing processes. This white paper discusses how the TOM, the Process Development Template (PDT), and the Process Development Implementation Steps (PDIS) complement each other. Together they provide a complete process development methodology.
- This white paper focuses on process development within the context of the Ocean Observatories Initiative (OOI) program. OOI process development faces the same challenges as any large organization: Complex cross functional processes, individual contribution vs. standardization, resistance to changing existing processes, organizational silos of activity, reliance on complex technology, remote locations and virtual teams, scarce project resources, and a diverse customer base.