- The development of a Marine Pollution Monitoring Program (MPMP), in any
coastal area of the world, requires a precise knowledge of the functioning of the local
ecosystem. Because of the differences found in every coastal ecosystem, it is important to
recognize and characterize the reservoirs and significant environments that maintain such
a system. When these information is not available, some basic ideas should be delineated
so that a MPMP could be established to preserve and conserve natural coastal resources.
This could be defined as sustainable development of the coastal zone.
Currently the state government of Baja California, Mexico is implementing a
program to develop the Tijuana-Ensenada corridor, the Program for Urban, Touristic and
Ecological Development of the Corridor Tijuana-Ensenada (PRDUTE). It is intended to
reach sustainable development of the corridor by managing human activities, and
preserving the corridor's coastal ecosystem. This is a very important step with regard to
Coastal Zone Management Programs (CZMP's) in Mexico. However one consideration
should be made before the PRDUTE is successfully implemented.
The PRDUTE should account for marine pollution processes along the Tijuana-Ensenada corridor, but because there is not enough data regarding oceanographic, marine
pollution or environmental processes within the area, the PRDUTE lacks that kind of
information. Thus, it would be difficult to attain sustainable development at the Tijuana-
Ensenada corridor if the PRDUTE is only implemented as it was enacted.
The idea of the present research work then is to delineate some basic concepts and
ideas, that would be useful in developing a better understanding of the marine pollution
processes found along the Tijuana-Ensenada corridor, and that would help in developing
a marine pollution monitoring program for the area.
- Master files scanned at 600 ppi (256 Black and White) using Capture Perfect 3.0 on a Canon DR-9080C in TIF format. PDF derivative scanned at 300 ppi (256 Black and White) using Capture Perfect 3.0 and OmniPage Professional 15.0 for textual OCR on a Canon DR-9080C.
- description.provenance : Submitted by Anna Opoien (firstname.lastname@example.org) on 2007-08-31T17:05:19ZNo. of bitstreams: 1Hector_Alvarez_ocr.pdf: 4380690 bytes, checksum: ee8c426884eb4a9ed41c559cefc9744b (MD5)
- description.provenance : Made available in DSpace on 2007-09-11T16:07:14Z (GMT). No. of bitstreams: 1Hector_Alvarez_ocr.pdf: 4380690 bytes, checksum: ee8c426884eb4a9ed41c559cefc9744b (MD5)
- description.provenance : Approved for entry into archive by Sue Kunda(email@example.com) on 2007-09-11T16:07:13Z (GMT) No. of bitstreams: 1Hector_Alvarez_ocr.pdf: 4380690 bytes, checksum: ee8c426884eb4a9ed41c559cefc9744b (MD5)