- This paper is the product of a 15 month internship with the
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. From July, 1985 through
September, 1986, I served as an environmental specialist for the
Portland District Regulatory Branch. My responsibilities included
evaluating environmental impacts of work conducted in Oregon's
waterways, through processing of permits under Section 404 of the
Clean Water Act (CWA) (33 U.S.C.A. 1344) and Section 10 of the
Rivers and Harbors Act (33 U.S.C.A. 403), to authorize the work.
The permit process requires extensive coordination with many
federal, state and local agencies and the general public. This
report will describe the Corps' permit program and assess some
aspects of interagency coordination at the federal level.
This report is divided into several sections. The first
section provides background information on the Corps of Engineers
regulatory authorities and the regulations under which they are
administered. This is followed by a discussion of the Corps'
procedural responsibilities under the Rivers and Harbors Act and
the Clean Water Act. The next section addresses interagency
Memoranda of Agreement (MOAs) which provide a formal process to
resolve agency disagreements in the permit process. A case study
illustrating the use of MOAs is given. Conclusions are then drawn
about the basis for interagency disagreement and the practical
usefulness of the MOAs, followed by recommendations for improved
coordination. The appendix includes two regional permits I
processed as a part of my internship.
- Master files scanned at 600 ppi (256 Black and White) using Capture Perfect 3.0 on a Canon DR-9080C in TIF format. PDF derivative scanned at 300 ppi (256 Black and White) using Capture Perfect 3.0 and OmniPage Professional 15.0 for textual OCR on a Canon DR-9080C.
- description.provenance : Submitted by Anna Opoien (firstname.lastname@example.org) on 2007-09-04T22:37:03ZNo. of bitstreams: 1Dana_Seigfried_ocr.pdf: 3094142 bytes, checksum: 3acc87e02956a191f0c0e1c87472024f (MD5)
- description.provenance : Made available in DSpace on 2007-09-27T15:29:48Z (GMT). No. of bitstreams: 1Dana_Seigfried_ocr.pdf: 3094142 bytes, checksum: 3acc87e02956a191f0c0e1c87472024f (MD5)
- description.provenance : Approved for entry into archive by Linda Kathman(email@example.com) on 2007-09-27T15:29:46Z (GMT) No. of bitstreams: 1Dana_Seigfried_ocr.pdf: 3094142 bytes, checksum: 3acc87e02956a191f0c0e1c87472024f (MD5)