- The purpose of this paper is to identify significant storm events
occurring over a ten year period along the Oregon coast. The findings will be
used in a larger research framework to build an information base that looks into
the role of climatic forcing on coastal erosion and sediment transport processes.
The work involved analysis of climatic data for a ten year period (1981-1990)
during the months of December, January, February and March. The climatic
factors considered most relevant to characterizing storm activity on the Oregon
coast were: wind direction, wind speed and precipitation. The data was collected
from documents and computer records at weather stations in Astoria, Newport
and Cape Blanco. Tables and graphs were produced following arithmetic calculations.
The data was manipulated to show daily, monthly and yearly storm distribution.
Storm occurrence was plotted by time and location. A relationship of
greater storm frequency was observed with 1982-1983 ENSO climatic events.
Results showed that the greatest storm magnitude was found during the winter of
1982-1983. The prevailing wind direction during most winter storms was
southerly. In addition to the winter 1982-1983 storm period, two other major
storm periods were identified over the ten year study period. January 1990
appeared to be a major storm period at all three stations. When the three stations
were compared, Cape Blanco had the most intensive storm activity over the
ten year period.
- File scanned at 300 ppi (Monochrome) using Capture Perfect 3.0 on a Canon DR-9050C in PDF format. CVista PdfCompressor 4.0 was used for pdf compression and textual OCR.
- description.provenance : Made available in DSpace on 2012-07-31T19:02:24Z (GMT). No. of bitstreams: 1ZhangHongyun.pdf: 642815 bytes, checksum: 63149dabc3ae5228f0d503d3ecfa3fda (MD5) Previous issue date: 1991-06
- description.provenance : Submitted by Kirsten Clark (firstname.lastname@example.org) on 2012-07-27T22:30:49ZNo. of bitstreams: 1ZhangHongyun.pdf: 642815 bytes, checksum: 63149dabc3ae5228f0d503d3ecfa3fda (MD5)
- description.provenance : Approved for entry into archive by Patricia Black(email@example.com) on 2012-07-31T19:02:24Z (GMT) No. of bitstreams: 1ZhangHongyun.pdf: 642815 bytes, checksum: 63149dabc3ae5228f0d503d3ecfa3fda (MD5)