- This project explores the impact of land use decisions on dune processes at the
Oregon National Guard's Camp Rilea. located on the north coast of Oregon. It
used a combined analysis of historical and modern data sources to assess the
impact of land use practices. Historical sources including the journals of Lewis
and Clark and local newspaper articles were used to determine dune condition
during the nineteenth century. Aerial photographs were used to track the changes
in vegetation occurring during the twentieth century. This study indicates that the
dune area was stabilized by native grass during the early 1800's and was disrupted
during the latter half of the century by cattle grazing and construction of the
Columbia River jetties. Activated dunes moved into developed areas burying
homes, roads and buildings. In response to the moving sand, a massive
biostabilization project was completed during the 1930's to halt dune movement.
The resulting landscape is characterized by a new geomorphology and floristic
distribution that reflect the impact of the introduction of high densities of plants
for the biostabilization project. The final component of this project was the
determination of alternate land management options for Camp Rilea that could
enhance alternate land management goals including: minimization of exotic plant
species, maximizing threatened and endangered species. maximum military
training diversity and no action.
- File scanned at 300 ppi (Monochrome, 256 Grayscale, 24-bit Color) using Capture Perfect 3.0 on a Canon DR-9050C in PDF format. CVista PdfCompressor 4.0 was used for pdf compression and textual OCR.
- description.provenance : Approved for entry into archive by Patricia Black(firstname.lastname@example.org) on 2012-07-23T17:09:33Z (GMT) No. of bitstreams: 1FlitcroftRebeccaL.pdf: 5228631 bytes, checksum: 5aa3bbf05c3edd80e8ac1ad372e020ec (MD5)
- description.provenance : Submitted by Kirsten Clark (email@example.com) on 2012-07-12T22:09:17ZNo. of bitstreams: 1FlitcroftRebeccaL.pdf: 5228631 bytes, checksum: 5aa3bbf05c3edd80e8ac1ad372e020ec (MD5)
- description.provenance : Made available in DSpace on 2012-07-23T17:09:33Z (GMT). No. of bitstreams: 1FlitcroftRebeccaL.pdf: 5228631 bytes, checksum: 5aa3bbf05c3edd80e8ac1ad372e020ec (MD5) Previous issue date: 1998-09