- A site suitability analysis for reforestation of
the endemic Hawaiian forest tree koa (Acacia koa var.
hawaiiensis) was performed. The study will assist the Hawai'i
Resource Conservation and Development's (RCD) Forestry
Committee in their effort to develop a master land use plan
for koa regeneration on the Island of Hawai'i. An
ecologically diverse study area of 30,000 acres on the
northeast slope of Mauna Kea (2,880-8,440 ft. elevation) was
chosen for analysis. Vegetation zones range from rain forest
to mixed mesic forest to subalpine shrubland and desert. Of
prime interest is a potential reforestation zone situated in
the study area on a 6,500 acre parcel, owned by the Department
of Hawaiian Home Lands.
Utilizing the grid-cell based Geographic Information
System (GIS) OSU MAP-for-the-PC, an analytical model was
constructed which enables the prediction of land areas best
suitable for koa regeneration, given several natural growing
condition and cultural variables. Additionally, the model
will be used to compare the areas most suitable for koa
regeneration with areas of existing koa dominant distributions
and with those of scattered or non-existent koa distributions.
- File scanned at 300 ppi (Monochrome) using ScandAll PRO 1.8.1 on a Fi-6770A in PDF format. CVista PdfCompressor 4.0 was used for pdf compression and textual OCR.
- Best scan available for figures.
- description.provenance : Submitted by Kaylee Patterson (email@example.com) on 2012-07-19T18:17:08ZNo. of bitstreams: 1SpleanScottL.pdf: 21478122 bytes, checksum: 05023fc8241c1d6af0eb61efa3dddbab (MD5)
- description.provenance : Approved for entry into archive by Patricia Black(firstname.lastname@example.org) on 2012-07-19T19:41:09Z (GMT) No. of bitstreams: 1SpleanScottL.pdf: 21478122 bytes, checksum: 05023fc8241c1d6af0eb61efa3dddbab (MD5)
- description.provenance : Made available in DSpace on 2012-07-19T19:41:09Z (GMT). No. of bitstreams: 1SpleanScottL.pdf: 21478122 bytes, checksum: 05023fc8241c1d6af0eb61efa3dddbab (MD5) Previous issue date: 1990-05