- The Cape Verde Islands, off the coast of West Africa, are subject to violent
precipitation events that cause extensive soil erosion and degradation of the landscape.
A systematic approach to the collection, analysis, and dissemination of hydrophysical
and geographic data was needed to effectively analyze the cause and effect
variables of landscape erosion at the watershed scale. A methodology incorporating
geographic information system (GIS) analysis and modified stream reach inventory and
channel stability evaluation techniques was developed for Ribeira da Boca Larga
drainage on Santiago Island, Republic of Cape Verde. The stream reach inventory employed
is a modified version of Pfankuch's "Stream Reach Inventory and Channel
Stability Evaluation" (1975). Modifications were made due to the unique environmental
conditions encountered in Cape Verde. The geographic information system runs on an
IBM PC-AT compatible micro-computer and consists of three popular vector and raster
geographic data storage and analysis software packages linked together by a fourth
software bundle developed for custom communication and analysis of geographic data.
Data from the stream reach inventory and geographic information system were combined
to create uniform channel reach analyses and automated GIS products. These products
are designed to assist the watershed manager, land use planner, and agricultural
engineer in developing a concerted response to erosional phenomena in the evaluated
drainage. The integrated stream reach inventory and geographic information system
methodology was developed to serve as a model for watershed analysis throughout
the Cape Verde Archipelago.
- File scanned at 300 ppi (Monochrome) using ScandAll PRO 1.8.1 on a Fi-6770A in PDF format. CVista PdfCompressor 4.0 was used for pdf compression and textual OCR.
- description.provenance : Approved for entry into archive by Patricia Black(email@example.com) on 2012-07-19T20:28:56Z (GMT) No. of bitstreams: 1RiegelmannEdwardA.pdf: 52135806 bytes, checksum: b4a6b13770c6b27ba78a0c955af3269a (MD5)
- description.provenance : Submitted by Kaylee Patterson (firstname.lastname@example.org) on 2012-07-18T21:33:48ZNo. of bitstreams: 1RiegelmannEdwardA.pdf: 52135806 bytes, checksum: b4a6b13770c6b27ba78a0c955af3269a (MD5)
- description.provenance : Made available in DSpace on 2012-07-19T20:28:56Z (GMT). No. of bitstreams: 1RiegelmannEdwardA.pdf: 52135806 bytes, checksum: b4a6b13770c6b27ba78a0c955af3269a (MD5) Previous issue date: 1989-02