Graduate Thesis Or Dissertation

 

Extending shelf-life of fresh-cut pears Public Deposited

Downloadable Content

Download PDF
https://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/concern/graduate_thesis_or_dissertations/9k41zh37m

Descriptions

Attribute NameValues
Creator
Abstract
  • Different concentrations of various browning inhibitors and a firming agent were evaluated to prevent browning and softening of Bartlett, Bosc and Anjou pear slices during cold storage at 2-4°C. Browning inhibition effect of Semperfresh, Snow Fresh and cysteine were compared with that of 4-hexylresorcinol (4-HR). The effect of ripeness on color and texture changes as well as the influence of storage temperature on texture and color retention was investigated. 4-HR residual content under different treatment conditions and its sensory properties were analyzed. 4-HR was an effective browning inhibitor at concentration as low as 0.005% when combined with 0.5% ascorbic acid (AA). Cysteine (0.5%) with 0.5% ascorbic acid (AA) effectively inhibited Anjou and Bosc pear slice browning for 25 days and its sensory properties merit further study. A combination of 1.0% AA and 1.0% calcium lactate prevented Anjou pear slices from discoloration, but also caused tissue leaking and softening. Semperfresh and Snow Fresh did not maintain flesh color effectively. 1.0% calcium lactate maintained slice firmness at an acceptable level for 30 days when the average firmness of whole pears at slicing was 49, 38 and 43 Newton (N) for Bartlett, Bosc and Anjou respectively. A storage temperature of 0°C significantly retained better texture than the control of 2-4°C. Slices with acceptable texture and color were achieved by treatment with a solution of 0.01% 4-HR, 0.5% AA, and 1.0% calcium lactate for 2 min, vacuum packaging, and storage at 2-4°C for 30 days for Bartlett and Bosc, and 15 days for Anjou. 4-HR residual content increased with increasing dipping times and concentrations, with the latter being the major factor. The 4-HR residual decreased with storage time for all the treatments. Sensory tests indicated that panelists detected the overall differences between 0.01% 4-HR treated samples and the controls for both Bartlett and Anjou pears (P<0.01). There were no significant differences in preference between treated sample and control for Anjou pears.
Resource Type
Date Available
Date Copyright
Date Issued
Degree Level
Degree Name
Degree Field
Degree Grantor
Commencement Year
Advisor
Academic Affiliation
Non-Academic Affiliation
Subject
Rights Statement
Peer Reviewed
Language
Digitization Specifications
  • File scanned at 300 ppi (Monochrome) using Scamax Scan+ V.1.0.32.10766 on a Scanmax 412CD by InoTec in PDF format. LuraDocument PDF Compressor V.5.8.71.50 used for pdf compression and textual OCR.
Replaces
Additional Information
  • description.provenance : Made available in DSpace on 2011-12-16T16:28:47Z (GMT). No. of bitstreams: 1 DONGXIAOLING1998.pdf: 1213396 bytes, checksum: 8cd6245faf99ba414b9718fa66c6807e (MD5) Previous issue date: 1998-09-25
  • description.provenance : Approved for entry into archive by Patricia Black(patricia.black@oregonstate.edu) on 2011-12-16T16:28:47Z (GMT) No. of bitstreams: 1 DONGXIAOLING1998.pdf: 1213396 bytes, checksum: 8cd6245faf99ba414b9718fa66c6807e (MD5)
  • description.provenance : Approved for entry into archive by Patricia Black(patricia.black@oregonstate.edu) on 2011-12-16T16:27:24Z (GMT) No. of bitstreams: 1 DONGXIAOLING1998.pdf: 1213396 bytes, checksum: 8cd6245faf99ba414b9718fa66c6807e (MD5)
  • description.provenance : Submitted by Erin Clark (ecscannerosu@gmail.com) on 2011-12-16T16:16:33Z No. of bitstreams: 1 DONGXIAOLING1998.pdf: 1213396 bytes, checksum: 8cd6245faf99ba414b9718fa66c6807e (MD5)

Relationships

Parents:

This work has no parents.

In Collection:

Items