A preliminary archaeological predictive model for the US 30 transportation corridor, Portland, Oregon To Astoria, Oregon Public Deposited

http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/concern/graduate_thesis_or_dissertations/g158bn722

Descriptions

Attribute NameValues
Creator
Abstract or Summary
  • This thesis is a preliminary archaeological predictive model and project-planning tool created for the Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) as part of a statewide planning effort to enhance the agency's ability to assess the potential impacts of highway projects on archaeological resources. This model addresses the archaeological sensitivity of the US 30 highway corridor from Portland, Oregon to Astoria, Oregon. The highway corridor is divided into 7 separate segments for management purposes and each segment is given a low, medium, or high probability rating for its potential to yield archaeological resources in this model. The ratings are accompanied by planning and maintenance recommendations to be integrated into a comprehensive planning document for the corridor. Probability determinations are based on State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) archaeological records, physiographic data, dominant vegetation zones, General Land Office maps, ethnographic accounts, and historical records. The precise utility of this model is unknown because cross-tabulations that compare actual and model assigned presence or absence of resources have not been made. Low probability ratings are assigned to 27% of the corridor. Medium probability segments comprise 15% of the corridor. High probability rating account for 58% of the total length of the corridor. The segment with the highest site density is segment 2, averaging .63 archaeological sites per mile. The archaeological probability ratings were initially omitted from the Draft Corridor Management Plan of 1998, but have been included in the Final Corridor Management Plan of 1999. The predictive model results were incorrectly added to the document and consequently create false impressions. In the Final Corridor Management Plan the number of sites listed for segment 2 is incorrect. It is indicated that seven archaeological sites are present within the corridor, but the actual number is fourteen. Furthermore, the percentage ratings of low, medium, and high archaeological probability are erroneously provided for segments 3, 4, and 7 in the final plan. Ultimately this report has proven useful to ODOT archaeological staff, however signs indicate that the data provided to planning personnel has had little impact on project planning and design.
Resource Type
Date Available
Date Copyright
Date Issued
Degree Level
Degree Name
Degree Grantor
Commencement Year
Advisor
Non-Academic Affiliation
Subject
Rights Statement
Peer Reviewed
Language
Digitization Specifications
  • File scanned at 300 ppi (Monochrome, 256 Grayscale) using Capture Perfect 3.0.82 on a Canon DR-9080C in PDF format. CVista PdfCompressor 4.0 was used for pdf compression and textual OCR.
Replaces
Additional Information
  • description.provenance : Made available in DSpace on 2012-07-26T19:00:04Z (GMT). No. of bitstreams: 1 KachadoorianLydiaA2003.pdf: 1685099 bytes, checksum: 919bf5310873a0355142726021204988 (MD5) Previous issue date: 2003-02-04
  • description.provenance : Submitted by Kevin Martin (martikev@onid.orst.edu) on 2012-07-19T17:16:42Z No. of bitstreams: 1 KachadoorianLydiaA2003.pdf: 1685099 bytes, checksum: 919bf5310873a0355142726021204988 (MD5)
  • description.provenance : Approved for entry into archive by Patricia Black(patricia.black@oregonstate.edu) on 2012-07-26T19:00:04Z (GMT) No. of bitstreams: 1 KachadoorianLydiaA2003.pdf: 1685099 bytes, checksum: 919bf5310873a0355142726021204988 (MD5)
  • description.provenance : Approved for entry into archive by Patricia Black(patricia.black@oregonstate.edu) on 2012-07-26T18:47:22Z (GMT) No. of bitstreams: 1 KachadoorianLydiaA2003.pdf: 1685099 bytes, checksum: 919bf5310873a0355142726021204988 (MD5)

Relationships

In Administrative Set:
Last modified: 10/19/2017

Downloadable Content

Download PDF
Citations:

EndNote | Zotero | Mendeley

Items