Evaluation of fishery by-products as supplemental protein sources for poultry and swine Public Deposited

http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/concern/graduate_thesis_or_dissertations/kd17cx18d

Descriptions

Attribute NameValues
Creator
Abstract or Summary
  • The nutritive values of two fishery by-products, i.e. fish protein hydrolysate (FPH) and liquefied fish (LF), were studied. Three trials using Hubbard broilers, and Yorkshire pigs (starter and grower phase) were conducted. The FPH was used in the broiler trial and LF in the swine grower trial as supplemental protein sources, that replaced partially the soybean meal protein. The FPH was used to completely substitute for the skim milk component in milk replacer for the pig starter trial. Sensory evaluation of the edible tissue was conducted at the end of the broiler and swine grower trials to evaluate the carcass quality changes associated with feeding fish-containing diets. The FPH derived from four different substrates (Hake, Dover sole, Brown rock cod and Atlantic cod) were incorporated into diets to provide 5% of the total dietary protein in the broiler trial and compared to Herring meal and soybean meal diets. Mean body weight (MBW) and feed conversion (FC) were determined when chicks were 4 weeks of age. The MBW of chicks fed the Hake, Brown rock diets were lower (P<.05) than those fed the corn-soy, Herring and Atlantic cod meal diets. However, FC was found not to be influenced (P>.05) by the supplemental protein sources. Edible tissue samples were subjected to a sensory evaluation. Fishy flavor and off-flavor were detected (P<.05) in carcasses of broilers fed Herring and Dover sole meal. Juiciness of meat was the same (P>.05) in all broilers receiving different diets. LF, prepared from Dover sole fillet scraps, was formulated to provide 24% (7.4% LF) or 12% (3.4% LF) of the total dietary protein in the rations for the swine grower trial. Initial weight for pigs used in the grower trial ranged from 26-28 kg. Pigs receiving the diet containing 7.4% LF had lower FC (P<.05) and average daily gain (ADG) (P<.01) than either the 3.7% LF or control groups. Growth of pigs fed the 3.7% LF group was not different (P>.05) from the control group. Similar results were obtained from the sensory evaluation of the edible tissue. Flavor, juiciness and overall desirability of edible tissue from pigs finished on 7.4% LF diet were different (P<.05) from pigs fed either the 3.7% LF and control. No difference (P>.05) in carcass quality was observed between 3.4% LF group and the control group. Milk replacer diets containing either skim milk or FPH contributed 20% of dietary protein, were fed to young pigs from 6.7 to 22.5 kg of body weight. .FC and ADG were not different (P>.05) between groups. The scouring problem was more severe in FPH fed pigs. However, the nutritive value of fish protein was shown to be similar to milk protein in the milk replacer diet for piglets. Based on the results of these trials, protein sources derived from fishery wastes can be effectively used as supplemental protein sources for poultry and swine. Adverse effects in carcass quality might be obtained if they are used at high levels.
Resource Type
Date Available
Date Copyright
Date Issued
Degree Level
Degree Name
Degree Field
Degree Grantor
Commencement Year
Advisor
Committee Member
Academic Affiliation
Non-Academic Affiliation
Subject
Rights Statement
Peer Reviewed
Language
Digitization Specifications
  • File scanned at 300 ppi (Monochrome) using ScandAll PRO 1.8.1 on a Fi-6670 in PDF format. CVista PdfCompressor 4.0 was used for pdf compression and textual OCR.
Replaces
Additional Information
  • description.provenance : Submitted by Katy Davis (kdscannerosu@gmail.com) on 2013-07-25T21:27:43Z No. of bitstreams: 1 WuYeaChing1984.pdf: 453244 bytes, checksum: b4dc9ee9ac0e12377e4d92fd557db07c (MD5)
  • description.provenance : Approved for entry into archive by Patricia Black(patricia.black@oregonstate.edu) on 2013-07-31T17:35:29Z (GMT) No. of bitstreams: 1 WuYeaChing1984.pdf: 453244 bytes, checksum: b4dc9ee9ac0e12377e4d92fd557db07c (MD5)
  • description.provenance : Approved for entry into archive by Patricia Black(patricia.black@oregonstate.edu) on 2013-07-29T15:00:20Z (GMT) No. of bitstreams: 1 WuYeaChing1984.pdf: 453244 bytes, checksum: b4dc9ee9ac0e12377e4d92fd557db07c (MD5)
  • description.provenance : Made available in DSpace on 2013-07-31T17:35:29Z (GMT). No. of bitstreams: 1 WuYeaChing1984.pdf: 453244 bytes, checksum: b4dc9ee9ac0e12377e4d92fd557db07c (MD5) Previous issue date: 1983-06-29

Relationships

In Administrative Set:
Last modified: 08/23/2017

Downloadable Content

Download PDF
Citations:

EndNote | Zotero | Mendeley

Items