Graduate Thesis Or Dissertation

 

Hungry Bob Harvest Production Study : mechanical thinning for fuel reduction in the Blue Mountains of northeast Oregon Public Deposited

Downloadable Content

Download PDF
https://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/concern/graduate_thesis_or_dissertations/sf2688029

Descriptions

Attribute NameValues
Creator
Abstract
  • Fire exclusion in the western U.S.A. has caused fuel loads to build up and overall forest health to decline. Managers are now looking for ways to reduce these fuel loads while reintroducing some of the desired effects of natural wildfire. One method to do this is thinning using mechanical harvesting methods to reduce fuel loads. This study looks at mechanical thinning in ponderosa pine (Pinus ponderosa) and Douglas-fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii) stands in the Blue Mountains of Northeastern Oregon. A 409 acre (165.5 ha) unit of 7.1 inch (18 cm) average diameter at breast height was studied during the summer of 1998. Three feller-bunchers and three forwarders were observed in this cut-to-length (shortwood) operation. The three feller-bunchers were a Rottne SMV Rapid EGS, John Deere 653E, and a Caterpillar 320L Excavator, and three forwarders were a Timbco TF8 15-C, Rottne SMV Rapid, and a Rottne Rapid. These six machines operated on 409 acres (165.5 ha) removing a total of 15,786 tons (14,320 metric tons), 73.4% as sawlogs with the remaining 26.6% as pulp. Felling and processing costs for the three feller-bunchers were $5.20/ton (5.35 euros/mton) for the Rottne, $6.63/ton (6.83 euros/mton) for the John Deere, and $7.97/ton (8.21 euros/mton) for the Caterpillar Excavator. Forwarding costs were $7.12/ton (7.33 euros/mton) for the Timbco, $7.61 (7.83 euros/mton) for the Rottne SMV Rapid, and $7.58/ton (7.80 euros/mton) for the Rottne Rapid. Total stump-to-landing costs ranged from $12.27/ton to $15.81/ton (12.63 to 16.28 euros/ton).
Resource Type
Date Available
Date Issued
Degree Level
Degree Name
Degree Field
Degree Grantor
Commencement Year
Advisor
Committee Member
Academic Affiliation
Non-Academic Affiliation
Subject
Rights Statement
Language
Digitization Specifications
  • Master files scanned at 600 ppi (256 Grayscale) using Capture Perfect 3.0 on a Canon DR-9080C in TIF format. PDF derivative scanned at 300 ppi (256 B+W), using Capture Perfect 3.0, on a Canon DR-9080C. CVista PdfCompressor 3.1 was used for pdf compression and textual OCR.
Replaces
Additional Information
  • description.provenance : Submitted by Anna Opoien (aoscanner@gmail.com) on 2008-09-10T20:22:59Z No. of bitstreams: 1 Coulter, Elizabeth MS.pdf: 980331 bytes, checksum: 9936a41932d79a92121bb566d1ece603 (MD5)
  • description.provenance : Approved for entry into archive by Laura Wilson(laura.wilson@oregonstate.edu) on 2008-10-09T18:00:26Z (GMT) No. of bitstreams: 1 Coulter, Elizabeth MS.pdf: 980331 bytes, checksum: 9936a41932d79a92121bb566d1ece603 (MD5)
  • description.provenance : Made available in DSpace on 2008-10-09T18:04:39Z (GMT). No. of bitstreams: 1 Coulter, Elizabeth MS.pdf: 980331 bytes, checksum: 9936a41932d79a92121bb566d1ece603 (MD5)
  • description.provenance : Approved for entry into archive by Laura Wilson(laura.wilson@oregonstate.edu) on 2008-10-09T18:04:39Z (GMT) No. of bitstreams: 1 Coulter, Elizabeth MS.pdf: 980331 bytes, checksum: 9936a41932d79a92121bb566d1ece603 (MD5)

Relationships

Parents:

This work has no parents.

Items