The species composition and adaptations of insects in an intermittent stream in western Oregon Public Deposited

http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/concern/graduate_thesis_or_dissertations/vm40xv04f

Descriptions

Attribute NameValues
Creator
Abstract or Summary
  • The insect fauna of a small second order intermittent stream near Corvallis, Benton County, Oregon was studied. The species composition was determined, attempts were made to monitor migration to the stream, qualitative and quantitative benthos samples were taken, emergence was sampled, the dry stream bed was examined for forms of aquatic life, and some species were studied under laboratory conditions. About 58 species of aquatic insects from eight orders were collected from the stream. Forty-eight of the 58 (about 83%) appear to have colonized the stream via aerial movements of adults from permanent waters. The remainder (ten of the 58, or about 17%) were able to colonize the stream without spending the summer dry period in a permanent body of water. These species survived the summer either in the dry stream bed as eggs (the mayfly Centroptilum elsa Traver), larvae (the corydalid Protochauliodes spenceri Munroe), or adults (the aquatic beetles Agabus confertus Le Conte and A. lugens Le Conte), or in the terrestrial environment as quiescent adults having an ovarial diapause (six species of Limnephilidae). The drought resistant eggs of C. elsa and the ovarial diapause of the limnephilid Hesperophylax incisus Banks were studied under laboratory conditions, and results are discussed. Life history information and general microhabitat preferences are given for most species, and the nature of the stream bed of an intermittent stream during the dry period is discussed as having an important influence on the species composition of a given intermittent stream.
Resource Type
Date Available
Date Copyright
Date Issued
Degree Level
Degree Name
Degree Field
Degree Grantor
Commencement Year
Advisor
Academic Affiliation
Non-Academic Affiliation
Subject
Rights Statement
Peer Reviewed
Language
Digitization Specifications
  • File scanned at 300 ppi (Monochrome, 8-bit Grayscale) using ScandAll PRO 1.8.1 on a Fi-6670 in PDF format. CVista PdfCompressor 4.0 was used for pdf compression and textual OCR.
Replaces
Additional Information
  • description.provenance : Approved for entry into archive by Patricia Black(patricia.black@oregonstate.edu) on 2014-02-25T20:27:50Z (GMT) No. of bitstreams: 1 TewMichaelP1971.pdf: 2907932 bytes, checksum: 0d9693e3510e7b3e20da1b5519d0dfce (MD5)
  • description.provenance : Submitted by Lauren Kaysen (lkscannerosu@gmail.com) on 2014-02-05T23:42:22Z No. of bitstreams: 1 TewMichaelP1971.pdf: 2907932 bytes, checksum: 0d9693e3510e7b3e20da1b5519d0dfce (MD5)
  • description.provenance : Approved for entry into archive by Patricia Black(patricia.black@oregonstate.edu) on 2014-02-11T19:32:32Z (GMT) No. of bitstreams: 1 TewMichaelP1971.pdf: 2907932 bytes, checksum: 0d9693e3510e7b3e20da1b5519d0dfce (MD5)
  • description.provenance : Made available in DSpace on 2014-02-25T20:27:50Z (GMT). No. of bitstreams: 1 TewMichaelP1971.pdf: 2907932 bytes, checksum: 0d9693e3510e7b3e20da1b5519d0dfce (MD5) Previous issue date: 1970-10-19

Relationships

Parents:

This work has no parents.

Last modified

Downloadable Content

Download PDF

Items