Housing selection and satisfaction associated with housing expenditures for off-campus living as stated by Asian graduate students at Oregon State University Public Deposited

http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/concern/graduate_thesis_or_dissertations/ww72bf52v

Descriptions

Attribute NameValues
Creator
Abstract or Summary
  • The purpose of this study was to examine the choice of housing of Asian graduate students living in off-campus housing and to identify the relationship between present housing satisfaction and housing expenditures. The data were collected from Asian graduate students living in off-campus housing at Oregon State University. Questionnaires designed for the study were mailed to the total population of 226 students. A total of 167 questionnaires were returned and analyzed. Of the 167 students, 138 were males and 29 were females. Ninety six students were single and the remaining 71 students were married, however, only 61 students had their families living in Corvallis. The students came from 13 different countries. From each of the following countries the graduate student group totaled more than 15 students: China, Hong Kong, India, Iran, Korea and Thailand. There were less than 15 students from each of the following countries: Japan, Jordan, Lebanon, Pakistan, Philippines, Turkey and Vietnam. Of the 167 students, 24 percent lived in apartments and 21 percent lived in married student housing. Proportions for the other types of housing were: rooms in private houses with cooking facilities, 18 percent; single family houses converted into apartments, 15 percent; single family houses 10 percent; private off-campus dormitory, four percent; boarding houses, three percent; others were five percent. In answering an open-end question, the students indicated the important reason for selecting their present housing. Fifty-seven of the 167 students gave economy along with another reason for selecting their present housing. However, 38 students indicated cost alone was the important factor. Of the 22 factors considered in selecting their present housing, cost was given the most frequently as a very important factor. About three-fourths of the students were satisfied or somewhat satisfied with their present housing; however, about one-eighth of the students stated that they were dissatisfied or somewhat dissatisfied with their housing. Twenty-two students or 13 percent were neutral about housing satisfaction. The satisfaction categories were weighted on a scale of +5, +4, +3, +2 and +1 with the number, +5, expressing the highest degree of satisfaction. When calculated on this scale, the satisfaction mean was 3.86, and the standard deviation was 1.17. Overall housing expenditure was positively correlated with housing satisfaction; however, there were no linear relationship between the housing satisfaction and housing expenditures. All the students were renting their housing. The range for housing expenditures was from $20 to $170 per month. And the median housing cost was $60 per month. Married students with no children paid an average of $96 per month, while single students paid an average of $58 per month. About 80 percent of the students paid less than $100 and the remaining 20 percent of the students paid more than $100 per month for their housing.
Resource Type
Date Available
Date Copyright
Date Issued
Degree Level
Degree Name
Degree Field
Degree Grantor
Commencement Year
Advisor
Academic Affiliation
Non-Academic Affiliation
Subject
Rights Statement
Peer Reviewed
Language
Digitization Specifications
  • File scanned at 300 ppi (Monochrome) using Capture Perfect 3.0.82 on a Canon DR-9080C in PDF format. CVista PdfCompressor 4.0 was used for pdf compression and textual OCR.
Replaces
Additional Information
  • description.provenance : Approved for entry into archive by Patricia Black(patricia.black@oregonstate.edu) on 2014-02-04T15:49:01Z (GMT) No. of bitstreams: 1 ChoiHye1972.pdf: 605777 bytes, checksum: 78fd7894a7e2f7864ddc7b3b172c6238 (MD5)
  • description.provenance : Made available in DSpace on 2014-02-18T17:46:35Z (GMT). No. of bitstreams: 1 ChoiHye1972.pdf: 605777 bytes, checksum: 78fd7894a7e2f7864ddc7b3b172c6238 (MD5) Previous issue date: 1971-08-05
  • description.provenance : Approved for entry into archive by Katy Davis(kdscannerosu@gmail.com) on 2014-02-18T17:46:34Z (GMT) No. of bitstreams: 1 ChoiHye1972.pdf: 605777 bytes, checksum: 78fd7894a7e2f7864ddc7b3b172c6238 (MD5)
  • description.provenance : Submitted by Georgeann Booth (gbscannerosu@gmail.com) on 2014-02-04T01:28:26Z No. of bitstreams: 1 ChoiHye1972.pdf: 605777 bytes, checksum: 78fd7894a7e2f7864ddc7b3b172c6238 (MD5)

Relationships

In Administrative Set:
Last modified: 08/14/2017

Downloadable Content

Download PDF
Citations:

EndNote | Zotero | Mendeley

Items