Intrinsic and extrinsic quality of West Coast albacore tuna (Thunnus alalunga) Public Deposited

http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/concern/graduate_thesis_or_dissertations/ww72bf63c

Descriptions

Attribute NameValues
Creator
Abstract or Summary
  • The purpose of this study is to identify the intrinsic and extrinsic quality characteristics of West Coast albacore tuna (Thunnus alalunga). Albacore tuna were troll caught off the Oregon coast and transferred to the Oregon State University Seafood laboratory in Astoria, Oregon. Core samples were extracted from six designated body zones of 16 fish and analyzed for lipid, moisture, protein, ash, and fatty acid distribution. Proximate distribution was constant throughout the body zones. Protein and ash made up 25% of the composition, lipid and moisture made up the remaining 75%. The lipid content ranged from 3.9 ± 0.2 to 36.3 ± 1.1%, with a distribution of higher lipid towards the head and lower lipid towards the tail. Total omega-3 content averaged 40% of the identified fatty acids for each body zone, with omega-3 (g/100g tissue) ranging from 2.1 ± 0.5 to 3.5 ± 0.4. Furthermore, an inverse correlation (R²= -0.95) was found for lipid and moisture content, enabling a faster estimate of lipid content derived from moisture content. Onboard handling techniques for West Coast albacore tuna were evaluated using sensory and analytical methods. Chilling (immediately and after 3 h), spiking, and bleeding at the throat and gills were evaluated by a sensory panel for overall quality, color, smell, texture and flavor. 2-Thiobarbituric acid-reactive substances (TEARS) and pH were also compared. Rapid chilling significantly and positively influenced overall quality, color, texture, and flavor; and significantly reduced oxidative rancidity. Bleeding at the throat significantly and positively influenced all sensory attributes tested, but did not significantly influence TEARS or pH. Neither spiking nor bleeding at the gills significantly affected sensory attributes.
Resource Type
Date Available
Date Copyright
Date Issued
Degree Level
Degree Name
Degree Field
Degree Grantor
Commencement Year
Advisor
Academic Affiliation
Non-Academic Affiliation
Subject
Rights Statement
Peer Reviewed
Language
Digitization Specifications
  • File scanned at 300 ppi (Monochrome) using Scamax Scan+ V.1.0.32.10766 on a Scanmax 412CD by InoTec in PDF format. LuraDocument PDF Compressor V.5.8.71.50 used for pdf compression and textual OCR.
Replaces
Additional Information
  • description.provenance : Approved for entry into archive by Patricia Black(patricia.black@oregonstate.edu) on 2012-01-26T16:28:50Z (GMT) No. of bitstreams: 1 WHEELERSENA2002.pdf: 746054 bytes, checksum: b48777ae65791c734ffeebf06e5e7b9a (MD5)
  • description.provenance : Made available in DSpace on 2012-01-26T16:28:50Z (GMT). No. of bitstreams: 1 WHEELERSENA2002.pdf: 746054 bytes, checksum: b48777ae65791c734ffeebf06e5e7b9a (MD5) Previous issue date: 2002-10-02
  • description.provenance : Submitted by Erin Clark (ecscannerosu@gmail.com) on 2012-01-23T19:35:04Z No. of bitstreams: 1 WHEELERSENA2002.pdf: 746054 bytes, checksum: b48777ae65791c734ffeebf06e5e7b9a (MD5)
  • description.provenance : Approved for entry into archive by Patricia Black(patricia.black@oregonstate.edu) on 2012-01-23T20:24:34Z (GMT) No. of bitstreams: 1 WHEELERSENA2002.pdf: 746054 bytes, checksum: b48777ae65791c734ffeebf06e5e7b9a (MD5)

Relationships

In Administrative Set:
Last modified: 08/15/2017

Downloadable Content

Download PDF
Citations:

EndNote | Zotero | Mendeley

Items