- Offshore wave conditions along the Oregon coastline are measured at a handful of buoy
locations where directional wave information is available. Most of these buoys are located in
deep waters and incoming waves undergo changes as they travel from deep water onto the shelf
where wave energy conversion arrays are likely to be deployed. These changes can be in the
form of wave focusing or defocusing due to the presence of underwater banks, shoals, or
canyons. Also, wave dissipation mechanisms such as bottom friction or wave breaking can be at
play. Wave models can take into account such processes and produce predictions of the local
conditions at the site of a wave energy conversion (WEC) array. Knowledge of local conditions
can aid in the design of the devices for the specific local conditions to which they will be
subjected and can also provide advance knowledge of wave conditions to power companies once
a WEC array is in place.
The work performed herein was geared towards two goals. First, transformation of the wave field from
deep water to the site of the buoy deployment was assessed. Second, preliminary predictions about the
potential impact of the buoys on the wave field are made. The results are discussed separately below.
Note that model code used herein is freely available soft ware and can be obtained through
http://www.wldelft.nl/soft/swan/. Input files specific to this work can be obtained through the author.
- Ozkan-Haller, H. Tuba. 2009. Wave Modeling Results: Baseline Observations and Modeling for the Reedsport Wave Energy Site. Portland, OR: Oregon Wave Energy Trust. 8 p.
|Funding Statement (additional comments about funding)
- Oregon Wave Energy Trust and the OSU Libraries cooperate to provide long-term access to OWET reports. OSU's ScholarsArchive is the digital repository for continual access to the report. The OWET website, http://www.oregonwave.org, provides immediate access to OWET funded reports.
- description.provenance : Submitted by Janet Webster (firstname.lastname@example.org) on 2010-11-11T00:54:11ZNo. of bitstreams: 3OWET-Wave-Modeling-Results-Study-FINAL-mod.pdf: 3846078 bytes, checksum: 5d096d97bbee4cee0314b8c7141330b6 (MD5)license_text: 20924 bytes, checksum: 2007e731b83279338882cd4d9f98fc08 (MD5)license_rdf: 19084 bytes, checksum: 2521a6810e93d3d6d43299f55472eb32 (MD5)
- description.provenance : Made available in DSpace on 2010-11-11T00:54:11Z (GMT). No. of bitstreams: 3OWET-Wave-Modeling-Results-Study-FINAL-mod.pdf: 3846078 bytes, checksum: 5d096d97bbee4cee0314b8c7141330b6 (MD5)license_text: 20924 bytes, checksum: 2007e731b83279338882cd4d9f98fc08 (MD5)license_rdf: 19084 bytes, checksum: 2521a6810e93d3d6d43299f55472eb32 (MD5) Previous issue date: 2009-12