- This report summarizes the outcomes of a
March 22-25, 2010, workshop in Seattle, Washington,
on the environmental effects of tidal energy development.
The workshop focused on building capabilities
to evaluate the environmental effects of tidal energy
from turbines placed in the water column throughout
the United States. However, it did not address policy
issues, details of technology engineering, or the socioeconomic
impacts of tidal energy development.
Two overarching conclusions were identified.
First, given the number of potential stressor/receptor
interactions, research efforts must be prioritized
and leveraged in order to effectively direct limited
research dollars and resolve key uncertainties in a
timely manner. Second, the next step to reducing
critical uncertainties is careful monitoring of pilot scale
This report contains recommendations relevant
to tidal energy device and project developers, monitoring
instrumentation developers, scientists, and
- Polagye, B., B. Van Cleve, A. Copping, and K. Kirkendall (editors). 2011. Environmental effects of tidal energy development. U.S. Dept. Commerce, NOAA Tech. Memo. NMFS F/SPO-116, 186 p.
|Table of Contents
- Introduction; Environmental Effects of Tidal Power; Environmental Stressors; Environmental Receptors; Workshop Outcomes - Challenges; Workshop Outcomes - Recommendations; Appendices - Glossary, Extended Abstracts, Workshop Participant List; Workshop Agenda, Workshop Evaluation Results
|Funding Statement (additional comments about funding)
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- description.provenance : Made available in DSpace on 2011-06-03T00:10:10Z (GMT). No. of bitstreams: 3license_rdf: 22588 bytes, checksum: ea670c3d41c679fe14ddd27ddad3face (MD5)license_text: 21030 bytes, checksum: afb2f9aa0e51fd9c78a12390c7ef29a0 (MD5)workshop_report_high_res.pdf: 31914277 bytes, checksum: 5432feb15b9407eeea9e92b939d5473f (MD5) Previous issue date: 2011-04
- description.provenance : Submitted by Janet Webster (email@example.com) on 2011-06-03T00:10:09ZNo. of bitstreams: 3license_rdf: 22588 bytes, checksum: ea670c3d41c679fe14ddd27ddad3face (MD5)license_text: 21030 bytes, checksum: afb2f9aa0e51fd9c78a12390c7ef29a0 (MD5)workshop_report_high_res.pdf: 31914277 bytes, checksum: 5432feb15b9407eeea9e92b939d5473f (MD5)